Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor,

There are so many ways to mix a Long Island Iced Tea. Sometimes they contain tequila, sometimes not. Some bartenders forego the sour mix, some don’t use Coke. I’ve even seen one sketchy drinksmith pour cola into vodka and try to convince me this was somehow acceptable.

So, I want to know, how does one go about making the perfect Long Island Iced Tea?

Sincerely,
Parched in Purgatory


Mr. Caholic-

This is the first time since I’ve taken on the mantle of Editor for this small-town rag that I’ve received a letter that’s really spoken to me on a personal level. Your childlike naïveté has touched me, and you can rest assured your question, a question no doubt shared by scores of like-minded drinkers, will be decisively answered here and now.

The perfect Long Island goes like this: equal parts of vodka, gin, white rum, and triple sec mixed together, add a ½ -shot of lemon juice, shake it up, pour into a glass full of ice spheres (cubes have too much surface area) and, this next step is crucial, open a chilled GLASS BOTTLE of Coca Cola and pour enough to fill the rest of the glass. Stir with a glass rod, decorate with a lemon wedge cut to resemble an elephant.

Drunk before noon,
Editor

No comments:

Post a Comment